With the joy of pregnancy comes the joy of body changes. For those mothers experiencing hormonal and skin changes, stretch marks may make their first appearance.
Stretch marks can be an unsightly surprise to even the most fit and prepared mother to be. These markings can range from light to dark and big to small depending on a variety of factors.
Stretch marks are:
- Visible lines, often wavy, on the skin
- May be lighter or darker than your current skin tone
- Lines may begin as pink or red but slowly fade over time
- Have the feel of rubber
- Mostly on the stomach area but can be found in many other rounded areas of the body
- May be large or small
Stretch marks are caused by:
- Hormonal changes
- Sudden weight gain
- Sudden weight loss
- Sudden growth spurt
- Stretching of skin and weakening of collagen
- With weak collagen in the skin, scars appear under the epidermis layer of the skin
- Muscle building
- Use of medications and lotions
If your pregnancy stretch marks make you feel uncomfortable and embarrassed, there are quite a few ways to get rid of stretch marks.
These light colored lines may be unsightly, but the lines are easy to nudge away with the right combination of ingredients.
With a little recipe from ingredients you have around the house, you can create a stretch mark concoction to rid yourself of unsightly lines.
How to get rid of stretch marks
- Exercise reguarly
- Work on muscle tone by lifting weights and firming your troublesome body areas
- Do not lose weight too quickly
- Do not gain weight too quickly
- Be sure to stay hydrated! Drink as much water as you can tolerate.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize
- Utilize minerals in Vitamin E to your advantage!
- Lower stress levels
- Have a doctor measure hormone levels and check for certain diseases that may trigger stretch marks
- Laser treatment
In addition to these simply lifestyle changes, you can try this recipe for an all natural topical treatment:
Blend ½ cup of cocoa butter with a tablespoon of wheat germ. Drop in a teaspoon of tea kernel oil, 2 teaspoons of grated beeswax and some vitamin E oil. Warm the mixture and massage into skin two or three times per day.
If you are a more conservative woman and prefer not to take drastic measures against your stretch marks, there are simple and natural ways in which you can lighten the stretch mark and firm your skin.
Castor oil for stretch marks
Castor oil can be used as a moisturizer for stretch marks in addition to treating wrinkles, age spots, and fine lines. With the moisturizing properties in castor oil, this all natural ingredient makes the perfect all purpose skin perfecta.
To use castor oil to remove stretch marks, simply use a circular motion massage with the oil on the affected area for five minutes, or more, depending on preference.
Put a thin cloth over the oil and perhaps a heating source such as a heating pad or warm washcloth. After a half an hour of treatment, you will feel the moisturizing results. If used every day for a month, you should notice a decrease in lines.
Aloe Vera for stretch marks
Aloe Vera is another all purpose skin treatment that you may have at home and can use for a multitude of ailments.
One of the best factors about Aloe Vera is that you can grow an Aloe plant in your home and have continuous access to the chemical properties that heal your skin and soften your lines.
Exfoliate! Exfoliating your skin is recommended for many skin ailments, but especially for stretch marks.
The act of exfoliation removes dead skin cells and brightens the skin underneath. The removal of skin cells and smoothing of the under skin help restore skin stretched to its limit.
Sugar is a great, natural exfoliant.
- A tablespoon of sugar can be mixed with a carrier oil, or with a few drops of almond oil and lemon juice. Massage sugar onto the skin before a shower and watch your skin begin to renew.
Potato?! Yes! You can use potato to cure your stretch marks!
- Use a potato slice as a massager and rub the inside of the potato slice onto your lines. When the moisture from the potato has dried, rinse the area.
Water is a tried and true method of reducing stretch marks no matter the area in which the marks are laid.
- Drinking water allows the skin to remain hydrated and have the elasticity needed to adapt to the body changes. Drinking water also removes toxins from the body, helps regulate hormones, and cleans the pores of your skin.
Lemon juice can be massaged onto the stretch marks, just as potato slices, then rinsed well when dried.
- Lemons contain antioxidants and minerals to clear skin scars and injuries, therefore the product works well on stretch marks.
Olive oil has similar properties of lemon juice in that the oil is full of antioxidants and minerals.
- Olive oil can warmed and applied to the skin to improve skin tone and feel.
Cocoa butter is the most trusted method of stretch mark relieve.
- Passed down from generation to generation, this wonderful scented lotion aids in the prevention and treatment of stretch marks while also providing all over moisturization mothers need.
Alfalfa leaves! These leaves are not just for your furry friends.
- Alfalfa leaves have been found to contain amino acids that aid in skin repair. The leaves also aid in detoxifying skin which hasten the healing of epidermal scarring. Mixed with the essential oil of your choice, preferably lavender, alfalfa leaves can be used as a natural remedy two or three times per day.